Relevant grants and supports

When people require assistive technology to help them with their daily living, they often want to know what funding is available to assist with purchasing any equipment. Here we outline the main sources of grants and funding currently available with links to documents on

Medical cards

A Medical Card is issued by the Health Service Executive (HSE) and allows the holder to receive a range of health services free of charge including the provision of prescribed aids and appliances.

Find out more about medical cards.

Private health insurance

If you are not a Medical Card holder but have private health insurance, you should check to see if your policy covers the provision of aids and appliances necessary to assist you with your daily living.

Housing adaptation grant for people with a disability

The Housing Adaptation Grant is available where changes need to be made to a home to make it suitable for a person with a physical, sensory or intellectual disability or mental health difficulty to live in. The grant can help you to make changes and adaptations to your home, for example, making it wheelchair-accessible, extending it to create more space, adding a ground-floor bathroom or toilet or a stairlift. This grant is means-tested and the maximum grant available is €30,000. It is administered by the local authority.

Find out more about the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability.

Mobility aids grant scheme

The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme provides grants for minor works designed to address mobility problems in the home. For example, the grant can be used for the purchase and installation of grab rails, a level access shower, access ramps or a stairlift. This grant is means-tested and the maximum grant available is €6,000. The grant is primarily for older people but people with disability can also access the scheme. It is administered by the local authority.

Find out more about the Mobility Aids Grant Scheme.

Seniors Alert Scheme

The Seniors Alert Scheme provides grant support for the supply of equipment to enable older people without sufficient means to continue to live securely in their homes. The grant is towards the purchase and installation of monitored personal alarms. The scheme is run by the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government and the grant assistance is made available through community and voluntary groups registered with the Department.

Find out more about the Senior Alert Scheme.

Other supports from the HSE

Community care services from the HSE:

Day centres and day care
Respite Care
Chiropody Services
Home Help Service
Occupational Therapy Services
Physiotherapy Services
Public Health Nurses
Home Care Packages
Hearing Services
Dental Services
Health Services for People with Intellectual, Physical or Sensory Disabilities
Nursing Home Support Scheme
Exceptional and Urgent Needs Payment


Special Needs Education in Primary Schools
Special Needs Education: Post-Primary
Equipment Grants for Students with Disabilities
Third-Level Education for Students with Disabilities
Grants for Students in Further and Higher Education
Rehabilitation and Training Services for People with Disabilities

Schemes to Support People with Disabilities in the Workplace

Wage Subsidy Scheme
Grants for adapting or equipping the workplace for staff with disabilities
Supported employment for people with disabilities
Job Interview Interpreter Grants
Personal Reader Grants

Transport and Mobility

Tax relief for disabled drivers and disabled passengers
Motorised Transport Grant
Mobility Allowance
Mobility training for people with visual impairments
Disabled Person's Parking Card
Parking facilities for people with disabilities

VAT Refunds

VAT refunds on aids and appliances used by people with disabilities

Tax Credits

Tax reliefs for people with a visual impairment
Medical expenses
Dependent Relative Tax Credit
Tax relief on nursing home fees and for dependent relatives
Tax relief on the costs of employing a home carer
Home Carer's Tax Credit

Relevant Legislation

Building Regulations 2000 - Technical Guidance Document M - Access for People with Disabilities
Building Regulations (Part M Amendment) 2010
Disability Act 2005
Education for Persons with Special Educational Needs Act 2004
Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011
Equal Status Acts 2000-2011

Useful Organisations

Age Action
Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland
Arthritis Ireland
Association for Higher Education Access and Disability (AHEAD)
Association of Occupational Therapists in Ireland (AOTI)
Centre for Independent Living (CIL)
Cheshire Ireland
Central Remedial Clinic (CRC)
Disability Equality Specialist Support Agency (DESSA)
Disability Federation of Ireland (DFI)
Department of Health (DOH)
Department of Social Protection (DSP)
Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland
Enable Ireland
Inclusion Ireland
Irish Deaf Society (IDS)
Irish Wheelchair Association (IWA)
Irish ME Trust (IMET)
MS Ireland
National Council for the Blind in Ireland (NCBI)
National Disability Authority (NDA)
Special Education Support Services (SESS)
The Carers Association
Visually Impaired Computer Society of Ireland (VICS)